You are invited to attend the fourth symposium for Australian impact assessment (IA) practitioners and researchers.
Worldwide, IA is the pre-eminent tool for assessing the sustainable development potential of new proposals. However, IA is mostly reactive rather than strategic. This symposium will explore ways to broaden strategic thinking in IA in Australia.
The symposium will be held over two days.
Strategic thinking in IA can include:
- Strategic environmental assessment (SEA) which seeks to provide input on the potential environmental and social impacts to decision-makers at the strategic level, which typically means it is applied to plans, policies and programmes
- Identification of strategic data and its collection
- Strategic use and timing of project IA
- Strategic policy making in support of project IA or arising from project IA
- Strategic application of the avoid–mitigation-offset hierarchy ( e.g. strategic offset corridors)
- Strategic thinking in the formulation of an approval for a project IA (for example creative condition setting)
- Strategic engagement with the community and stakeholders.
There may be many other ways to think strategically within an IA, and avenues to apply strategic thinking and goals as part of IA.
The key question for this symposium is: “how can we deliver positive strategic outcomes from IA?”
Impact assessment professionals, planners, practitioners and academics, Commonwealth, State and local government agencies. New Zealand practitioners are also welcome to attend.
Day one is aimed at impact assessment professionals, practitioners and academics, and Commonwealth, state and local government agencies and will explore the symposium theme. Each session will include short presentations allowing time for questions and discussion. Day one will also include a short session dedicated to reporting on the State of IA in Australia by jurisdiction. This will be done through the tabling of written updates followed by a brief discussion of any issues that emerge. The day will conclude with a roundtable discussion on how IA practitioners and EIANZ can promote greater use of strategic approaches and achieve more strategic outcomes through IA.
Day two is primarily aimed at IA academics and researchers, although professionals and practitioners are also invited. This day is dedicated to a discussion between IA academics about both IA research and teaching possibilities. It is hoped that the first day will generate some key knowledge gaps, which we can then discuss. Other ideas for collaborative research are also welcome. This day will proceed only if there is sufficient interest.
Registration options are available for both days or a single day.
Day one only
Day two only
|EIANZ/IAIA student members
To receive the discounted member rate, IAIA members must provide their details to EIANZ prior to registering for the symposium. Once you have provided your details, you'll be directed back to this page to complete your event registration.
IAIA members can register their details here →
IAIA student members can register their details here →
You can register for both days, or for a single day. Select the relevant registration option below.
Register for both days here
Register for day 1 only here
Register for day 2 only here
Thank you to our venue sponsor