The Environmental Accounting Special Interest Section (EA-SIS) was established following endorsement from the EIANZ Board in 2021. The purpose of the EA-SIS is to develop and promote knowledge of this increasingly important area of environmental practice and advance the professional standing and recognition of environmental accounting practitioners in Australia and Aotearoa New Zealand.
About Environmental Accounting
Environmental accounting is the practice of measuring and accounting for all the contributing factors that result in an impact to the environment. Environmental accounting is necessary to provide veracity and confidence in environmental and sustainability assertions and spans all levels of reporting – statutory and voluntary, corporate and government.
- Educating members and the community on environmental accounting
- Facilitating the exchange of ideas and information
- Encouraging the development of knowledge and competency
- Setting and maintaining high professional standards of members
- Informing community leaders and decision-makers.
In April 2022, the Australian Accounting Standards Board (AASB) requested consultation on the International Sustainability Standards Board’s (ISSB) Exposure Drafts on [Draft] IFRS S1 General Requirements for Disclosure of Sustainability-related Financial Information (Exposure Draft on [Draft] IFRS S1) and [Draft] IFRS S2 Climate-related Disclosures (Exposure Draft on [Draft] IFRS S2) to inform any possible future development of a separate suite of Australian sustainability reporting standards by the AASB. The purpose of publishing the Exposure Draft in Australia was to:
- gather feedback to provide input into the ongoing work of the ISSB; and
- inform the AASB as to the appropriateness of and support for its proposed approach to sustainability-related financial reporting in Australia.
The EA SIS prepared a detailed response which can be found here >
In accordance with the Institute's By-Law 15, the EIANZ Board has appointed an Interim Management Committee for this newly established Special Interest Section:
- Chris Wilson MEIANZ | Chair
- Diane Dowdell FEIANZ | Secretary
- Dylan Marks | Treasurer
- Belinda Bastow FEIANZ | Committee Member
- Chris McLoughlin | Committee Member
To find out more about getting involved in this new Special Interest Section please contact email@example.com.