- “Is your health and/or wealth at risk? Who is at most risk of heat stress? Is your future income at risk, whether it sits in a superannuation fund or in a farm or city-based business? What sectors of the economy are most at risk? What does science tell us about these various risks? What can we do about these risks, particularly at a practical level?
- Where in Australia and New Zealand are the people and industries likely to be adversely affected as the climate changes? What does the Actuaries Index show? How is the insurance industry going to react if we neglect scientific advice on where we build and how we build? Where does the law stand on property rights and the environment? On water rights? On climate change in general?
- What can be done here in Australia and New Zealand to mitigate and/or adapt to climate change?
These and many similar questions are being asked around dining room tables, at BBQs, in coffee shops, in pubs, in doctors’ surgeries, in the board rooms of the major industries – wherever we gather and turn our minds to extreme heat events, severe droughts and floods, and attempt to guess the state of the world our children and grandchildren will have to live in.
This forum has been organised by environmental practitioners who in their day-to-day work are asked the above questions. The practitioners running this conference are members of a specialist Climate Change group of the Environment Institute of Australia and New Zealand (EIANZ).”
- Morning speakers
- Panel discussion
- Lunch break
- Afternoon speakers
- Panel discussion and workshop
- Wind-up drinks –South Australian wine
Click here to download the draft program →
Meet the Speakers
- Rade Musulin (of Finity) on behalf of the Actuaries Institute
- Dr Justine Bell-James | Law School University of Queensland
- Tom Davies | on behalf of the Insurance Council
- Dr Justin Peter | Science to Services Branch, Bureau of Meteorology
- Dr Lynn Riggs | Motu Economic and Public Policy Research
- Catherine Leining | Motu Economic and Public Policy Research
- Associate Professor Nick Wickham | Doctors for the Environment Australia
- Dr Neal Hughes | ABARES
There are various sponsorship opportunities for this forum for those companies and individuals that wish to be involved in this special event.
Click here to download the sponsorship prospectus →
6 Nov 2019
- 4:30 PM
182 Victoria Square, Adelaide
EIANZ Members - $100, Non-members - $150, EIANZ Student Members - $20
1st Aug 19 5:00 PM
6th Nov 19 5:00 PM
EIANZ Central Office via email@example.com or phone on 03 8593 4140
Register now and secure your attendance
- Event date has passed
- Registrations are closed