We are currently seeking an experienced Ecologist to own the newly created role of Technical Director - Ecology. Based in Newcastle, you will lead our specialist Ecology team within the Northern New South Wales Region. Building future capability and ensuring we are at the forefront of client requirements, you will play a senior role within a valued team of specialists as you provide specialist technical advice and related services to support our growing project portfolio.
This rare career opportunity will see you maximising your specialist skills, knowledge and experience in a senior position that will see you making a significant impact on our growing client base, the GHD organisation and the broader environment around us. Working across our diverse organisation, you will enjoy a variety of challenging projects and shape your Ecology team as you enjoy what you are most passionate about.
Key responsibilities will see you:
• Leading our Northern New South Wales Ecology team as you ensure the highest quality outcomes for client projects and the environment around us
• Collaborating with a large and passionate network of experienced professionals across the GHD organisation to provide specialist advice to various internal and external stakeholders across various areas including; ecology, biodiversity and broader environmental issues
• Overseeing the delivery of field based botanical surveys, including surveys in accordance with the NSW Biodiversity Assessment Method (BAM)
• Playing a lead role in the delivery of biodiversity values and constraints assessments, impact and offset assessments and monitoring and management services related to project approvals and natural area management
• Providing advice and direction regarding relevant regulatory frameworks and project approval pathways, while overseeing Stewardship Site Assessments and Biodiversity Stewardship Agreements
• Utilising your professional experience to identify market opportunities, ensuring a high level of team capability to provide the best possible technical services for our growing client portfolio
• Playing a critical senior role in mentoring young professionals and building a diverse Ecology team
What would you bring to the team:
• Tertiary qualification/s in Botany, Ecology or related field coupled with BAM Accreditation
• A current NSW drivers licence
• Proven leadership experience and a demonstrated background in the provision of specialist Ecology advisory/services, ideally from within a similar consulting environment
• Demonstrated ability to apply the NSW Biodiversity Assessment Method (BAM) including experience preparing Biodiversity Development Assessment Reports (BDARs), Biodiversity Stewardship Site Assessment Reports (BSSARs) and/or Biodiversity Certification Assessment Reports (BCARs)
• Demonstrated high level experience in botanical survey and vegetation management and experience in the application of the BAM
• Demonstrated skills in plant species, plant community type and threatened ecological community identification
• Knowledge of NSW and Commonwealth regulatory frameworks and policy with respect to biodiversity assessment, offsetting and management
• Ability to lead and undertake fieldwork throughout NSW in various environments and sometimes remote locations
Being the best we can be is in our culture.
We are a family of smart, innovative and creative problem solvers. In our employee-owned company, everything feels like it matters more. Challenge us and help us come up with new solutions to ensure water, energy and urbanisation are made sustainable for generations to come.
Our commitment to you
Commitment is a powerful word that defines how we do business, how we serve our clients and how we care for one another. We will support your needs by giving you the tools to do your best work and then recognise achievements. We will set your curiosity free to allow brilliant minds to do their best work. We will invest in new ideas, removing barriers where we can. Finally, we will encourage you to collaborate with thousands of diverse people across our global business.
Who we are
We are committed to solving the world's biggest challenges in the areas of water, energy and urbanisation. GHD is a global professional services company that is a leader in engineering, construction and architectural expertise. Established in 1928, we remain wholly owned by our people. We are 10,000+ diverse and skilled individuals, yet we are proudly 'One GHD' across more than 200 offices, spanning five continents - Asia, Australia, Europe, North and South America, and the Pacific region. Delivering extraordinary social and economic outcomes, we are passionate about building lasting relationships with our partners and clients.
Interested? Apply now.
Contact Jordan Monier.
GHD is committed to providing Equal Employment Opportunities and invites applications from all nationalities, genders, and cultural backgrounds, including Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples.