The WA Division of the Environment Institute of Australia and New Zealand is proud to present an in person workshop Building proficiency in Organised Reasoning. A pre-requisite for attending this workshop is that participants have completed Glenn Brown’s introductory workshop on ‘More effective impact assessment: Tools for stronger argument and clearer writing’.
This full day workshop builds on the skills developed in the introductory workshop. It includes:
- A review of the main points covered in the introductory workshop and discussion of experiences so far
- Guided practice in doing a self-analysis of a short piece of your own writing using a set of analysis criteria
- How to use the 4C analysis tool (completeness, continuity, consistency, coherence) to identify the strength and coherence of important features of a major topic or argument within a large document.
- A basic tool and approach for reviewing the work of colleagues, with guidelines for giving feedback
- Applying organised reasoning to writing or responding to requests for information (RFIs)
- A review of the strengths and weaknesses of example RFIs, and modified approaches for preparing clearer RFIs
- Guidance for self-training and review to build your proficiency in organised reasoning.
Like the introductory workshop, this advanced workshop provides both thinking and writing skills. The workshop will benefit professionals who need to prepare written documents, review documents prepared by their colleagues or others, and/or prepare RFIs based on their review of other’s documents. This includes, for example, regulators who review proponents’ documents, consultants who review reports prepared by specialist consultants, EIS lead consultants who review EIS chapters prepared by others etc.
This workshop to be held on Wednesday 7 June, will be one of only a few occasions to attend this workshop face to face. In the future, following Dr Brown’s visit to Australia this year, it is expected this workshop will only be provided online.
Meet the speaker
Dr Glenn Brown has over 25 years experience as an ecologist and educator specialising in environmental management. He has worked on environmental projects for industry, government and non-governmental organisations in Canada and other countries. He teaches courses on Ecosystem Science and Management and on Analytical Thinking and Communications in the masters program in Environment and Management at Royal Roads University in British Columbia and works as an independent consultant.
He has delivered courses on "Organised Reasoning" at International Association for Impact Assessment (IAIA) conferences in Florence, Durban, Brisbane and Vancouver.
Click here to view Dr Glenn Brown's website and biography →
|| This event will count as 1 point per hour
towards your Certified Environmental
Practitioner CPD log
Should you need to cancel your registration the following conditions apply:
- 50% refund up to 2 weeks before course
- 25% refund up to 1 weeks before
- Accept an alternative person in lieu of someone who can’t attend who meets the criteria of the ticket
- Notification of cancellation must be provided to EIANZ Central Office by email firstname.lastname@example.org