News and Events
- Change Agent e-news - the EIANZ's monthly e-news for Students and Early Professionals, chock full of resources, tips, tricks and potential employers. Email us at email@example.com to sign up.
- The Melbourne Sustainability Drinks - If you haven't heard about this yet, this is a great place to meet other people in the field and hear about new initiatives and businesses. Good networking!
- The Climate Action Calendar - released once or twice a month, this is a list of every climate change or environment-related event going on in Victoria. Email Monique to get signed up.
- Making Environmental News - sign up for a summary of every environmental-themed news story sent to your inbox each day. Convenient and extremely informative.
- Grist.org - Provides environmental news, commentary, and advice with humor.
- Judy Bush's Climate News - News, jobs, resources and events, delivered to your inbox 4 times a week. Nice and short! Email Judy to get signed up.
- The Going Solar Transport Newsletter - Steve Ingrouille puts together the most comprehensive transport-related newsletters in Victoria. Sign up and check out back editions at the Going Solar transport website.
- Linked In – Like a professional facebook, this site gives you a chance to put yourself on display, build networks and join groups to stay informed.
- The Australian Environment Review is a monthly briefing on a wide range of environmental issues, designed specifically for environmental professionals. Regular columns highlight a water management; waste management; the greenhouse debate; transport; energy; and environmental law.You can find 3 editions of the Review at the bottom of this page, and you can subscribe via the LexisNexis website.
- Beyond EP Magazine - this bi-annual newsletter released by the Melbourne University Office for Environmental Programs has a huge amount of useful advice and resources for starting your environmental career.
- Carbon Calculators - There are several of them out there and you will not believe how useful they are on a job. The Victorian government has a nice selection and an Ecological Footprint calculator as well, and the Climate Cops website has an extremely useful conversion table.
- Sustainable Melbourne - something of an enigma, this site designed to capture and promote great ideas while also inspiring them itself. A huge repository of events, speeches, ideas and news.
- TED Talks - Ladies and Gentlemen, these are some of the best speakers from across the world on some of the most interesting topics around. Need that shot of inspiration? Want a different perspective or to have your ideas challenged? This is the place for you.
- Skeptical Science - Ever been frustrated by a climate skeptic and wished you had the science on hand? Well now you do. This website (and their iPhone app) are a compendium of every argument against climate change, and the science refuting it.
- Green Renters - As a renter myself I know it's tough to make any meaningful improvements to your home. It's not like you can install solar panels, is it? Well the folks at Green Renters have set up a not-for-profit service providing sustainable living advice specifically for people in this situation.
- Thinking Transport - while it's mained mainly at local governments, this is a massive compendium of transport resources, project and news. If you need a transport resource, this is the place to find it.
- Sustainable Living Festival also have a directory of most of the green groups in Victoria
- Beyond Zero Emissions 'Zero Carbon Emissions 2020' research report
- Prezi – Sick of powerpoint? This site is an awesome little tool that let you easily set up some truly awesome and creative presentations. The basic version is free.
Looking for a job? Here are a variety of places that cater directly to environmental professionals:
- The Environmental Jobs Network
- The Victorian Government Careers portal
- Ethical Jobs.com.au
- Growing Careers - This is your hub for a career in sustainable forestry. It features jobs immediately in the forestry work, as well as a number of revegetation organisations and carbon offset groups.
- Australian Youth Ambasadors for Development (AYAD) - This Government run program provides skilled young Australians the opportunity to volunteer overseas in Asia, the Pacific and Africa. There's an entire catergory of environmetnal jobs here.
- Waterjobs.com.au – Just like Envirojobs.com.au that we all know and love, except specifically for water-related jobs, including efficiency, quality and management.